The Honourable Victoria Gray, Q.C., Conflict of Interest Commissioner
The Honourable Victoria Gray, Q.C., received a Bachelor of Music degree from the University of Victoria and a Bachelor of Laws degree from the University of Toronto. She was appointed to British Columbia’s Supreme Court in 2001 and served as a Justice for 16 years until her retirement in August 2017.
Before her appointment as a judge, Ms. Gray practiced law for 19 years as a commercial litigator in Vancouver. She was appointed Queen’s Counsel in 1997. From 1993-1998, while she was practicing law, she was also an Adjunct Professor at the Peter A. Allard School of Law, University of British Columbia, teaching civil litigation.
Ms. Gray has served on a number of boards, including the Law Foundation of BC (Chair), YWCA Metro Vancouver (Chair), and West Coast LEAF (Legal Education and Action Fund) Society (Chair). Ms. Gray is also an active musician, recently playing oboe with the Victoria Symphony and Palm Court Light Orchestra.
The Conflict of Interest Commissioner is an independent, non-partisan Officer of the Legislative Assembly who is responsible for impartially administering the Act.
The Commissioner has three primary roles:
- To provide confidential advice to Members about their obligations under the Act;
- To oversee the disclosure process, including meeting with each Member at least annually to review the disclosure of the Member’s financial interests;
- To respond to allegation that a Member has contravened the Act, and conduct an Inquiry if warranted.
Commissioner’s Travel Expenses
- Travel Expense Claim Summary 2018-19 Fiscal
- Travel Expense Claim Summary 2017-18 Fiscal
- Travel Expense Claim Summary 2016-17 Fiscal
- Travel Expense Claim Summary 2015-16 Fiscal
- Travel Expense Claim Summary 2014-15 Fiscal
- Travel Expense Claim Summary 2013-14 Fiscal
|The Honourable Lynn Smith, Q.C. (Acting)||June 17, 2019 – January 5, 2020|
|The Honourable Paul D.K. Fraser, Q.C.||January 1, 2008 – March 29, 2019|
|The Honourable H.A.D. (Bert) Oliver, Q.C.||November 26, 2002 – December 31, 2007|
|The Honourable H.A.D. (Bert) Oliver, Q.C. (Acting)||August 2, 2002 – November 26, 2002|
|The Honourable H.A.D. (Bert) Oliver, Q.C.||August 7, 1997 – August 2, 2002|
|J. Peter Meekison (Acting)||May 8, 1997 – August 7, 1997|
|The Honourable E.N. (Ted) Hughes, Q.C. (Acting)||July 19, 1996 – March 26, 1997|
|The Honourable E.N. (Ted) Hughes, Q.C. (Acting)||April 2, 1996 – June 30, 1996|
|David Mitchell (Acting)||March 26, 1996 – April 2, 1996|
|The Honourable E.N. (Ted) Hughes, Q.C.||May 23, 1991 – March 26, 1996|
|The Honourable E.N. (Ted) Hughes, Q.C. (Acting)||October 1, 1990 – May 23, 1991|